If you make the time to exercise, here are 5 ways to get more bang for your buck:
- Enjoy your coffee or tea before your workout and not after. Caffeine helps you access fat, decreases muscle pain and helps you exercise harder longer. Don’t drink it afterwards or on rest days because the more caffeine you consume, the more you habituate to the effect.
- Drink green tea right before or during your workout. I suggest icing it and putting it in your sports bottle. Research suggests that green tea increases your metabolic afterburn, so it keeps you burning extra calories after a workout.
- Eat within 1 hour of finishing a killer workout. Your muscle cells will soak up the carbs and protein you eat so that they recover faster and stronger for next time.
- Include intense intervals. A few intense intervals will make you burn more fat the entire workout and will extend your metabolic afterburn. Intensity also increases longevity and makes your cells act younger.
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours after a killer workout. It interferes with recovery. The whole reason you worked out hard was to break down muscle so that it would grow back stronger and better! Don’t do a hard workout if you don’t plan to allow yourself adequate recovery.
All my best,