Sitting watching football–hours of sedentary high adrenaline–is the optimal condition for storing fat if you aren’t careful. Both adrenaline and inactivity make it easier for your blood sugar to spike, which makes you store fat, then get hungry again, all while promoting unhealthy inflammation.
So skip the chips and pizza and choose these snacks instead:
- jicama sticks dipped in guacamole
- celery dipped in peanut butter or low-fat cream cheese
- kale chips (just bake kale at 350 and see how much it resembles Pringles!)
- turkey slices wrapped around asparagus spears
- hearts of romaine dipped in low-fat ranch dip
- chicken skewers
- shrimp cocktail
- sunflower seeds or spiced pumpkin seeds
- walnuts or almonds (in the shell, to slow you down)
If skipping your favorite junk food bums you out, take heart: Research shows that most people mindlessly much on anything within reach during the SuperBowl, and enjoy it the same whether it’s raw veggies or fried lard balls.
So make me proud Sunday! And please send me your healthy snack ideas. We can never have too many.