Remember the asparagus meal in “Eat, Pray, Love”? Elizabeth goes to the local Italian market, then slowly savors a deeply satisfying, magical, delicious and treasured joy….of eating 3 asparagus spears.
OK, I’m not sure we can all have a religious experience over a few vegetables, but you can get closer to it by taking a little extra time to:
- Buy fresh produce on the same day you plan to eat it.
- Reflect on where it came from and how it grew.
- Appreciate the smell, sight and texture, both in your fingers and your mouth.
- Eat with gratitude and without distractions.
- Chew long enough to experience the different flavor that comes after saliva exposure.
- Imagine you are Julia Roberts, and the veggies are a gateway to love and enlightenment. 🙂 OK, that might be going a bit far.
But with spring produce and farmers markets returning, it’s a chance to rediscover some “magic” in our produce, rather than just choking it down. See if a little extra time and appreciation can win you a beautiful veggie experience.
Have a good week!