Happy New Year!
If you want to improve your health habits this month, then here is a valuable tip:
Willpower succeeds much better when you focus on what you WILL do, rather than on what you WON’T.
For example, replace “no-no” resolutions like this:
- I won’t eat bread at dinner
- I’ll stop overeating
- I won’t drink booze after dinner
- I won’t eat just to alleviate stress
with “to-do” resolutions like this:
- I will eat a salad with dinner
- I will set my fork down between bites to eat slower
- I will drink herbal teas after dinner
- I’ll get a massage when I’m overwhelmed with stress
The best to-do items are those that actively interfere with the unwanted habit. For example, mindless nibbling isn’t possible when you’re taking a bath, a walk or a yoga class. And, incidentally, if you wanted to justify playing computer games, they’ve been proven to help people avoid nighttime munching.
It’s a seemingly minor shift in focus, but it hugely raises your chances for success: So take some time RIGHT NOW to rephrase any “will not” resolutions into positive “to-do” items.
And have a wonderful new year!